Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Why LDS Young Women’s Presidents Need Wood Badge Training

In 2012 I was a Unit Commissioner in my LDS Stake Primary Presidency. I had been encouraged to go to Wood Badge by several leaders and finally I felt an overwhelming need to be at Wood Badge. I signed up for an August course at Krupp Hollow and bought a scout shirt. Off I went! 


The first three days I was excited to learn all the things that were presented. I bonded with my group, and I had a complete blast! Everything I had done as an adult had been geared towards building a great program for kids. This felt like I was learning so much about how to do it better, and it was all geared towards helping me. This was so fun and inspiring. We learned, had activities, ate fantastic food and made great friends. 

I went home from Week One and was asked to meet with my Bishop the following day. I was asked to serve as the Young Women’s president in our ward. I was excited by this opportunity and felt like the things that I had been learning at Wood Badge would translate really well to the girls. 

The 2nd weekend of Wood Badge had an entirely new focus for me. As we learned about Venture crews and the things that the older Scouts do, I knew that I could use all of these resources for my girls. I made goals to give them Venturing Leadership training, take them on a High adventure, and really use the methods I learned to have the girls help create a program that they would be excited about. 

It is now 2016 and I am still the Young Women’s president in my ward. I took my girls, with the help of the Scouts in our ward, through the Tenderfoot to First Class requirements which correlate with the Girl’s camp requirements. Then we went out and practiced what we learned.  We have regular campouts and an annual Leadership retreat and High Adventure. The girls are confident cooking on and in a campfire, with backpacking stoves and with their ability to handle living outside of creature comforts. These activities really helped create a unified group as well. When the girls and leaders do difficult things together, they build a great bond. We have learned a lot together as a group.

I am grateful for all of the ideas and resources that opened up to me at Wood Badge. If I hadn’t gone, I would have just done the same old thing that I had seen other Young Women's presidents do. I have girls who are excited about our program because they truly have input and it is a youth led program.
 
I gained a whole new horizon and way of thinking at Wood Badge. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard from someone that they wished I could have been their Young Women’s leader, or that their daughter could have been a part of our program. This is not because I am figuring out new things, this is because I attended Wood Badge and learned to use resources that are already available. Scouting people are truly helpful and amazingly willing to share their experiences, ideas, tools, and time. 

So Young Women’s presidents…Come to Wood Badge, bring your counselors! You will always be grateful that you did. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Great advice! I love working with young women and helping them become capable and confident, which will serve them their entire lives.

    ReplyDelete